Last Updated on September 23, 2023
You won’t be the first, we have all been in a situation where we needed to transfer money from bank to Cash App without debit card. It seems you’re in the same spot. If so, this guide will help you through.
While possible, the methods I will give you in this article are not direct. That’s because Cash App does not allow you to fund your balance with your bank—you can only do that with your linked debit card.
Many people rely on debit cards for quick transactions, whether it is buying groceries or paying bills. Debit cards, including Cash App’s own Visa Cash Card, make life easier by eliminating the need to carry cash or wait for checks to clear. But what happens when using a debit card isn’t an option? Maybe you lost it, had it compromised, or simply waiting for a new one to arrive in the mail. In situations like these, need to know alternative ways to fund your Cash App account.
Can I Add Money to Cash App from My Bank Without Debit Card?
You can add money to your Cash App account from your bank without a debit card. However, you generally need a debit card linked to your Cash App account. This is because Cash App primarily uses debit cards to fund your account. If you don’t have a debit card, you will still be able to add money from your bank to your Cash App account but not directly.
A linked bank account on Cash App is generally only used for cashing out, meaning you can transfer money from Cash App to your bank account. If you want to fund your Cash App account, you’ll need to get at least one debit card.
In this post, I will give you multiple alternative ways to transfer money from your bank to Cash App without debit card. Some of the methods include requesting funds from someone (friend or family member) who uses Cash App, using a retailer to load money onto your Cash App, or depositing a check on Cash App.
How to Transfer Money from Bank to Cash App Without Debit Card
1. Request Cash App Funds from a Friend or Family Member
If you need to transfer money from your bank to your Cash App account but do not have a debit card, ask a friend who has a Cash App account to send you money.
- Open your Cash App on your smartphone.
- Go to the request money feature.
- Once in, look for the option that allows you to request money usually represented by a $ symbol or the word Request.
- Enter the amount you need. Make sure to double-check the amount for accuracy.
- Enter the email address, phone number, or $Cashtag of the person you’re requesting money from.
- Add a reason (optional). You can say something like “I need to transfer money from bank to Cash App without debit card”.
- Tap the Request button to send your request.
Your friend or family member has 14 days to either accept or decline the money request on Cash App. If they don’t take any action within this period, the request will automatically expire.
2. Make Paper Money Deposit into Cash App Without a Debit Card
You can use the paper money deposit feature to transfer money from bank to Cash App without debit card.
For this method, no card is needed. Some merchants may ask for cash, but if they do ask you to swipe a card, tell the cashier to scan the barcode on your Cash App instead. So, follow these simple steps to fund your Cash App through paper money deposit.
- Find a Store.
- Open Cash App and tap the Banking tab.
- Select Paper Money to see a map of nearby stores where you can deposit cash.
- Stores include Walmart, Walgreens, 7-Eleven, and more.
- Get Directions.
- Choose a store and use the Cash App bank locator in the app to get directions or copy the address to your navigation app.
- Talk to the Cashier.
- Once you’re at the store, tell the cashier you want to add money to your Cash App.
- Show them your app’s barcode if needed.
- Hand Over Cash.
- Give the cashier the amount you want to deposit.
- They’ll scan your barcode to complete the transaction.
- Confirm Deposit.
- The money will automatically appear in your Cash App balance.
You can only deposit between $5 and $500 per transaction. The weekly limit is $1,000 and the monthly limit is $4,000.
Also, a $1 fee is charged per deposit and is taken from the amount you’re adding.
3. Make a Mobile Check Deposit on Cash App
You can use the Mobile Check Capture feature to deposit paper checks into your Cash App account. This is an alternative to transferring money from a bank account without a debit card.
Steps to deposit money using mobile check capture on Cash App
- Make sure the paper check you have meets all the eligibility requirements. It should be written to you, be in your possession, and be drawn on a U.S. bank.
- Open Cash App on your mobile device.
- Navigate to Mobile Check Capture in the “Banking” or “Wallet” section.
- Use your mobile device’s camera to capture clear, legible images of the front and back of the check.
- Manually input any required information, such as the check amount.
- Once all details are filled in, submit the check for review. Cash App will examine the electronic images and other details before accepting the check.
- You will receive a confirmation once the check is successfully submitted. Keep the original paper check in a secure location for at least two weeks as advised.
There may be a delay before the funds from the check are available in your Cash App account. Also, make sure your contact information in Cash App is up-to-date so you can be reached if there are any issues.
4. Add Funds to Cash App by Direct Deposit (Initiating an ACH from Your Bank)
You can add money to your Cash App account by setting up direct deposits. For this method, you will be sending an ACH from your regular bank to your Cash App account. This method also helps you to transfer money from bank to Cash App without debit card.
This way, your paychecks, tax returns, and other funds can be automatically transferred to your Cash App balance. You can receive up to $25,000 per deposit and a maximum of $50,000 in a single day. Cash App usually makes these funds available faster than many traditional banks, sometimes even two days earlier.
Steps to Enable Direct Deposits
- Open Cash App on your phone.
- Tap the Money tab, which is usually at the bottom of the home screen.
- Find account details. Here, you’ll see your routing and account numbers. You can copy these numbers for later use.
- Set up direct deposit using these numbers when setting up a direct deposit through your employer or other payer.
How to Create a Direct Deposit Form
- Open the Money tab on your Cash App home screen.
- Tap the Direct Deposit option.
- Select Get Direct Deposit Form.
- Provide your employer’s details, specify the amount you want to be deposited from each paycheck, and sign the form.
- Tap Email Form and enter the recipient’s email address.
- Tap Send.
Access Account Details on a Computer
If you prefer using a computer:
- Go to cash.app/account and log into your Cash App account.
- On the left-hand side, click the Money option.
- Your account details will appear on the left. Click Show to view the full information.
- You’ll need to enter your correct PIN to proceed.
Your first direct deposit might take a bit longer to process, depending on your employer’s procedures.
Meanwhile, if you have a credit card, and not a debit card, it might be possible to transfer money from credit card to Cash App.
How to Link Your Bank Account to Cash App
Since this guide is about how to transfer money from bank to Cash App without debit card, you want to know how to link your bank. This way, you will be able to fund Cash App without a debit card.
The reason I include this section separately is that you probably never added a debit card to Cash App initially. So, this section will just show you how to link your bank in case you want to. But this method requires a one-time use of debit card. That’s because to unlock the “Add a Bank” feature on Cash App, you need to add a debit card.
You can follow these steps through:
- Open Cash App and tap the profile icon, usually found at the top corner of your home screen.
- Look for the “Linked Banks” option and tap on it.
- Next, tap “Link Bank” to start the process.
- You’ll be guided through some prompts to complete the setup.
Note: You’ll need to have a debit card linked to your Cash App before you can add a bank account.
If you ever need to make changes to your linked bank account, here’s how:
- Tap the profile icon on your Cash App home screen.
- Go to “Linked Banks.”
- Choose the bank account you wish to modify.
- You’ll see options to either “Remove Bank” or “Replace Bank.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the changes.
Can’t Link a Bank Account on Cash App?
If you’re facing issues linking your bank account to Cash App, don’t worry. You can still move money by manually entering your bank details. Here’s how:
- Open Cash App and tap the “Money” tab, usually at the bottom of your home screen.
- Next, press “Cash Out” and pick the amount you want to transfer.
- Choose the “Standard (1-3 business days)” option for the transfer speed.
- In the search field, type “cashapp”.
- Then, press “Add Manually.”
- You’ll be asked to enter your routing and account numbers. Fill those in carefully.
Read also: How to Get a Cash App Card Without an ID