Last Updated on September 23, 2023
Instead of “how to”, it should be a question of, “Can you transfer money from credit card to Cash App?” Well, you can’t directly transfer money from your credit card to Cash App. While you can link a credit card to your Cash App for sending funds, currently, Cash App does not allow adding cash directly using a credit card. Instead, you can only link a debit card to add cash to your Cash App account.
Can I Send Money from My Credit Card to Cash App?
You can link a credit card to Cash App for sending funds, however, it is currently not possible to add cash to your Cash App balance using a credit card. To add cash to your Cash App balance, a linked debit card is required. Although you can send funds using a credit card, you cannot use it to fund your Cash App balance.
Moreover, using a credit card on Cash App may depend on the specific card network. Cash App also charges an extra fee for using a credit card compared to a linked debit card. Moreover, your card may also charge an additional fee, which could be a flat rate of $20 or more.
Do note that the transaction may be viewed as a Cash Advance by your card provider, which means a very high interest rate will be applied immediately, with no grace period.
How to Transfer Money from Credit Card to Cash App
1. Add Credit Card to Cash App
You can link a credit card to your Cash App account for making payments and transferring money. So, have your physical credit card with you, as you will have to input its details into the app.
Before you can add a credit card, Cash App may ask you to link a debit card first. This is a part of the identity verification process. The app wants to be sure of your identity and that you are not engaged in any suspicious activities.
Once your identity is verified, which is determined by your regular transactions and interactions with trustworthy individuals, you will be allowed to link a credit card. After successfully linking your credit card, you can use it for various types of transactions within the Cash App.
Steps to add a credit card to Cash App
- Make sure you are logged into your account.
- Look for the My cash or banking button, which has a $ sign, and tap it.
- On the next screen, below the Bitcoin and Cash tab, you’ll see a credit card option. Click that.
- Provide your credit card number, CVV code, and expiration date.
- Follow the steps on the screen and tap the Add card button.
- Confirm with Touch ID or PIN.
- Click back to return to your homepage.
2. Send Funds to a Friend
The goal of this guide is to show you how to transfer money from credit card to Cash App. You can only send money directly to someone else; you cannot directly add funds to your own Cash App balance using a credit card. Here’s a workaround you can use:
- Use your credit card to send a specific amount, let’s say $40, to a friend through Cash App. Your friend will receive this amount instantly.
- After your friend receives the money, ask them to send the $40 back to you. Now, you will have $40 in cash form in your Cash App account, which originally came from your credit card.
However, there are some considerations to keep in mind:
- The type of credit card you use may affect this process. Some cards may have additional fees or restrictions.
- Cash App will charge an extra fee for transactions made through a credit card, as opposed to a linked debit card.
- Your credit card company may also charge an additional fee, which could be a flat rate of $20 or more.
- The transaction might be categorized as a Cash Advance by your credit card company. This means you could face a high interest rate that starts accruing immediately, without any grace period.
So, while this method is a way to transfer money from a credit card to Cash App, be aware of the potential extra costs and fees involved.
You might call your bank and ask them to turn off cash advance or reduce the limit to $1 if possible. It’s what some users do to their credit cards. I also made a guide on how you may get cash from a credit card without charges.
How to Send Money on Credit Card Using Cash App
If you are using Cash App on your smartphone and you have multiple funding sources like a bank account, debit card, and credit card, you may be confused about which one to use for sending money. You can easily select your credit card as the payment method. Here’s how:
- Open Cash App and at the top of the app, you’ll see a space to enter the amount you wish to send. Type in the amount there.
- After entering the amount, tap on the Pay button.
- You’ll then need to select the person or people who will receive the money. Choose the recipient(s) accordingly.
- Once you have picked the recipient, go back to the top of the app where you initially entered the amount you’re sending.
- You will see a list of payment methods. From this list, select your credit card.
- Finally, to complete the transaction, tap on the Pay button again. This will send the money from your credit card to the chosen recipient.
Why Can’t I Add Credit Card to Cash App?
If you have trouble adding your credit card to Cash App, there could be several explanations. Here are some steps to help you figure out what’s going on:
1. Verify Card Type
Cash App generally supports most credit cards authorized by the U.S. Government. However, there are exceptions like prepaid or gift cards. Make sure your card is the type that Cash App accepts. Also, make sure your credit card is either MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.
2. Check Bank Terms
Each bank has unique terms and conditions for credit card usage. Sometimes, these terms may not align with Cash App’s requirements. Some cards might even have fees that Cash App doesn’t support.
3. Confirm Credit Card Details
Ensure that you’ve entered the correct card information. A small mistake in the card number, expiration date, or CVV can stop you from adding the card.
4. Look for Error Messages
Cash App will usually display an error message if there’s an issue. For example, if the card is not supported, you might see a message like, “This card is not supported because the issuing bank charges cardholders additional fees. Please add another card.”
5. Check Your Credit Card Status
Make sure your card is not expired or deactivated. If it is, you’ll need to get a new card from your bank.
6. Verify Network and App Version
Sometimes, network issues can interfere with the process. Also, make sure you’re using the latest version of the Cash App.
7. Check for Temporary Holds
Your card might be temporarily put on hold. If that’s the case, you’ll need to resolve this with your bank.
Conclusion on the Trick to Transfer Money from Credit Card to Cash App
In this post, you have learned that transferring money from a credit card to Cash App is possible. The only downside is that it comes with limitations and fees. You can use a credit card to send money to someone else, but you can’t directly add funds to your own Cash App balance using a credit card.
Instead of credit card, Cash App only allows you to link a debit card. Again, look out for extra fees from both Cash App and your credit card provider, as well as the potential for the transaction to be categorized as a Cash Advance. If marked as cash advance, it will result in high interest rates.
Read also: How to Get a Cash App Card Without an ID