Last Updated on October 12, 2023
You would be amazed if you knew the number of foreign friends I have on my WhatsApp list. I also have many WhatsApp groups with foreign friends from the US, UK, Canada, South Africa, etc, numbering up to 250. You also want these foreign friends to help broaden your horizons. No problem; I will show you the exact steps I use to make foreign friends on WhatsApp, as well as how to add any foreign number.
You might wonder why I have so many foreign friends on WhatsApp. The simple answer is ‘business’. So, it’s my turn to ask. Why do you need foreign friends? You have to answer this question before you proceed.
It is true that WhatsApp has helped us connect with people from different countries. However, some people are not worth it. So, I will tip you with just 5 simple steps to go about this. You do not need foreign friends on WhatsApp for fun or merely to learn about their culture, No! You need them finance-wise. In fact, a few foreign friends on WhatsApp can be more of a goldmine than local ones.
Can I Talk to Someone in Another Country with WhatsApp?
Yes, you can talk to someone in another country with WhatsApp. And for free as well. Why even ask this type of question? Anyways, and again, you can. The only thing you need is a data connection on your smartphone and the mobile number of the person you intend to talk to (chat/voice or video call) on WhatsApp. No need to change SIM cards or do any technical stuff – it’s as simple as A, B, and C.
You probably need to be wary of the country code of the intended recipient (the person you want to talk to. If you do not get this correctly, there’s every probability you won’t be able to find that person’s number on your WhatsApp contact list.
Don’t worry if this seems like something you can’t do. I will teach you how to add someone from another country on WhatsApp in the section after this following one.
How to Make Foreign Friends on WhatsApp
Making foreign friends on WhatsApp isn’t as difficult as it seems, but it can be technical when dealing with foreign ones. But that is not to that you are dealing with rocket science, no. You are not also walking in the park. Just follow these steps that I have practiced for many years to make foreign friends on WhatsApp.
1. Join a foreign WhatsApp group
Let’s be quite upfront about this. Unless you have your foreign friend’s WhatsApp number or you somehow found yourself getting messages from foreigners on WhatsApp one way or another, your best is to join any foreign WhatsApp groups. There are many of them you can find on the internet but you need to be careful. Not all that glitters is gold, they say, so not all sweet foreign WhatsApp groups contain foreigners.
I will tell you a simple hack that nobody who not come across this article is aware of. When you need to make foreign friends on WhatsApp, you first identify your interest. Let’s say you need jobs in Canada, that is a good reason to have foreign WhatsApp contacts. Now, you go to a popular platform like Reddit and search something like “WhatsApp group for jobs”. Or, you can use the specific country’s platform to find foreign WhatsApp groups with foreign friends. Let’s say I needed a job in Canada, I will go to canadavisa.com and search the forum for plenty of WhatsApp groups with foreigners to join.
2. Join the foreign WhatsApp Group
It has to be said that, foreign WhatsApp groups are easily available on the internet these days. Which is the best group? This would depend on so many things such as your interests and the group’s requirements to becoming a member.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, the next thing has to do with joining a foreign WhatsApp group.
How do you join a foreign WhatsApp group link?
Joining a foreign WhatsApp group is relatively easy, but most times you will need an invite to join a specific group. Here are some ways you can try to join foreign WhatsApp groups:
- Ask someone to invite you. If you know someone who is already a member of a foreign WhatsApp group, you can ask them to invite you. They can share the group’s invite link or add you directly to the group.
- Join WhatsApp group directories. There are several foreign WhatsApp group directories available online, where you can find US WhatsApp groups related to your interests.
Now, I am not going to share any foreign WhatsApp group links in this post. But if you needed any, I gave you a hack to follow. Also, if you need me to give you active group links on WhatsApp, you can get in touch.
Joining any of the above foreign WhatsApp groups is quite simple. All you have to do is:
- Click on the above group link.
- Now you will be redirected to WhatsApp.
- Then click on the ‘Join’ button on your WhatsApp.
As a passing word, we do recommend that you use your spare number to join any of these WhatsApp groups to ensure your anonymity (if you care about it).
3. Reach out to make foreign friends on WhatsApp
You’ve found a rich friend from another country on WhatsApp. Now comes the tricky part; reaching out to them without coming across as strange or offensive. Your first impression matters a lot.
But don’t worry, I have some tips to help you out:
- Try to personalize, even if it means communicating with them using their language. You can use Google Translate to translate your message into their language. This way, you can avoid accidentally using inappropriate words when you only just wanted to say a simple ‘Hello.’
- Start with a friendly greeting. Keep it a warm and friendly greeting, and introduce yourself through a Direct Message (DM).
- Add some humor to lighten the mood by including a joke or a funny observation (without being offensive). You can even try your hand at their native tongue by adding a few phrases.
Make sure you don’t come across as too cheesy or desperate. You don’t force friendship, or expect a bond to be formed overnight. Just take it easy and be yourself to make foreign friends on WhatsApp for benefits.
4. Make the friendship grow
Now that you have started building a friendship with your new foreign friend on WhatsApp, how do you keep that friendship alive and growing? Here are some tips I follow to retain friendships with foreign friends on WhatsApp:
- Show your new foreign WhatsApp friend that you’re interested in their culture by continuing to learn about it. You can check out their favorite music, movies, or sports teams from their past messages on the group chat (if they’re active in the group). You can even try picking up a few words or phrases in their language.
- Don’t let your chats become boring. Share interesting stories, news, and experiences. You can also send them pictures and videos of things that interest you, and ask them to do the same. Just make sure you’re very careful to avoid using offensive language or behavior.
- Keep in touch with your friends regularly. It doesn’t have to be every day, but consistent check-ins show that you value their friendship.
- Plan virtual movie nights, play online games, or even attempt to cook the same dish from your respective countries.
When you attain a certain level of familiarity with them, you can try using voice or video calls to practice speaking in their language. This not only helps you improve your language skills but also strengthens your bond with your friends.
5. Remember to prioritize safety first
It should not end with just making foreign friends on WhatsApp. While enjoying your new friendship, you need to remember to prioritize safety. You need to always be cautious and protect your personal and financial information. If you ever feel uncomfortable or suspicious about your friend, don’t hesitate to report them to WhatsApp, the group admin, or even the relevant authorities.
Rules of Foreign WhatsApp Groups
- Always stick to relevant topics; avoid sharing off-topic messages.
- Avoid arguments and aim to build good relations with all members.
- If you don’t know the answer to a question, wait for someone else to provide it.
- Refrain from posting advertisements or promotions in the group.
- Don’t share spam links.
- Avoid sending fake images or videos.
- Never change the group icon or group name without permission.
- Don’t engage in personal chats or video calls within the group.
- Make sure you follow all group rules.
- If you need more information about the rules, then check the group description or reach out to the group admins.
How to Add Someone from Another Country on WhatsApp
- Open the Contacts app on your Android device. You will usually find this in your app drawer, and it often has a blue, red, or orange icon with a white outline of a person’s head depending on your smartphone’s model.
- Now look for the icon that lets you create a new contact, which is usually represented by a plus (+) sign.
- Choose where you want to save the new contact. Now, depending on your Contacts app, it might ask you to select an account or storage location (internal storage or SIM card) for WhatsApp to store the new contact.
- Give the contact you intend to save a name.
- Now enter the international phone number of the person you want to add. Remember we mentioned this in the previous section.
In the phone number field, start by typing the plus (+) symbol, followed by the country code (like +1 for the US), and then the rest of the person’s phone number. For example, a US phone number would look like this: +1 (772) 918-9815 (‘772’ being the area code).
Finally, save the contact. The location of the Save button might vary depending on your phone’s model. Once you save the contact, you can now chat with them in WhatsApp, just like you would with a local contact.
Why Make Foreign Friends on WhatsApp?
- You can learn new things from them, like insights into their culture, lifestyle, traditions, and customs that are different from what you know in Indonesia.
- Interact with foreign friends on WhatsApp for chances that you might pick up another country’s language, as they may teach it to you.
- Lastly, there’s potential for new business opportunities. This might come into being if they happen to share information about job prospects in their country, their current jobs, and even offer you a job opportunity.
I have ended my guide, and I expect that you should already be on your way to making foreign friends on WhatsApp. Remember, this can broaden your social horizons, and gain a deeper appreciation for diverse cultures and languages. Start reaching out and casting your net. You never know, you might just meet your next best friend or even a romantic partner that turns into something serious.
Just like anything else, there’s a disadvantage to making foreign friends on WhatsApp as you never can tell who might be on the other side of the line. Ultimately, and again, prioritize your online safety and take precautions when interacting with new people on WhatsApp. I even advise not using your primary phone number for WhatsApp with people you do not know.