Last Updated on August 1, 2023
Gold bars can be a stable investment, especially considering how the stock market fluctuates. It’s also great for protecting your money from inflation. And buying physical gold instead of gold receipts, gold mining stocks, or gold ETFs means you need to find reputable, established dealers to work with. However, the arising question is “where to buy gold bars“.
It helps to buy gold bars from reputable precious metal dealers and add to your investment mix – particular since most banks don’t buy or sell gold. To help your cause, we have identified top dealers who have a good history, reputation, and fair prices, and they’re clear about how they’ll buy back the gold from you if you ever want to sell.
We have also considered the various methods of payment, storage options, shipping speeds, reasonable fees, and great customer service too.
Where to Buy Gold Bars
Here’s a list of places to buy gold bars, both online and offline:
APMEX (American Precious Metal Exchange)
- Shipping Policy. If you order products worth more than $199, you’ll get free shipping.
- Storage. Yes, they offer storage options.
- Return Policy. You can return or exchange products within 7 days of receiving them, but there’s a 10% restocking fee (minimum $50).
American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEX) has become a big player in the precious metals market since it started in 2000. They offer the largest selection of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium products. You can find coins from different countries, making it a diverse collection. Collectors will love their variety of coins and old banknotes.
Though APMEX might not have the cheapest prices, it can still be competitive due to its high sales volume. One downside is that they charge different prices for different payment methods. However, they do offer discounts for bulk purchases of bullion and coins. They have an easy-to-use website with a simple checkout process. When you start an order, you have 10 minutes to finalize it and lock in the current pricing.
Another advantage is that APMEX provides free shipping on orders over $199. There’s no minimum order required. If your order is below $199, they charge a $9.95 shipping fee, but insurance is included on all packages. APMEX also has a QuickShip Program for certain payment methods, which processes U.S. orders quickly.
If you prefer to store your gold, APMEX can ship it to Citadel Global Depository Services, one of the biggest storage facilities. They charge an annual fee for this service.
APMEX offers various payment options, like credit cards, checks, wire transfers, PayPal, bitcoin, and eCheck. Payment processing time depends on your chosen method. They have a seven-day return policy and provide a quick buyback process for customers. If you return an item, they might charge a restocking fee of $50 or 10% of the purchase amount.
Why We Chose APMEX
We picked APMEX because they are committed to being transparent and trustworthy. They have a great reputation as a reliable precious metals dealer. Their focus on customer service and educational resources makes them stand out from others.
- Easy-to-navigate website with clear product descriptions
- Helpful and knowledgeable customer service team
- Competitive pricing and price-matching policy
- Some limitations on international shipping
- You need to make a minimum order of $99 for online purchases
- Shipping Policy: You’ll get free shipping on all orders over $199 within the United States.
- Storage: They don’t provide storage services, but they recommend third-party storage options.
- Return Policy: You can return products for a refund within three to five business days of receiving your order.
JM Bullion, founded in 2011, has become one of the fastest-growing precious metals companies in the U.S. They’ve achieved this by offering a wide range of products, clear pricing, excellent customer support, and a straightforward buying process.
Their product selection is vast, with various gold, silver, platinum, copper, and palladium coins and bars, all priced without extra fees. They also offer discounts to military members and have different prices for different payment methods.
You can pay using ACH transfer, cryptocurrency, paper check, credit/debit card, PayPal, or bank wire transfer, each with its pricing. Credit card and PayPal payments cost 4% more, while cryptocurrency payments cost 1% more due to a “discount” for other methods.
Shipping is free for orders over $199 and includes insurance. Orders below $199 have a $7.99 shipping fee, which can increase if you choose faster shipping. They also give the option to store your gold for free at TDS Vaults, a highly secure storage facility.
JM Bullion allows a five-day return policy. While they don’t mention a restocking fee on their website, customers are responsible for any market losses. Their minimum buyback policy is $1,000, and you can check their website for current buyback prices.
They pride themselves on their dedicated customer support, available during business hours through live chat, email, and phone.
Why We Chose JM Bullion
We chose JM Bullion because they have a solid reputation as a reliable online precious metals retailer. They understand their customers’ needs and offer price match guarantees and a user-friendly website, making it easy for both new and experienced investors.
- Competitive prices without commissions
- User-friendly website with real-time price updates
- Discounts available for military members
- They don’t offer in-house storage services
- Customer support is not available on weekends.
BGASC (Buy Gold and Silver Coins)
- Shipping Policy: If your order is above $199, you get free shipping. For orders below $199, there’s a $7.77 shipping fee.
- Storage: They don’t provide storage services.
- Return Policy: You can return or exchange products within 5 days.
BGASC mainly focuses on selling gold bullion coins and has a wide selection at competitive prices. They are especially known for being a reliable gold coin dealer, offering essential coins like American Eagles, Canadian Gold Maples, South African Krugerrands, and more.
They also have a collection of rare and premium medals, coins, and paper currency for numismatics enthusiasts. Besides coins, they also sell gold bars in various sizes.
BGASC’s products are priced very competitively, and their 1 oz. Gold American Eagle Coin is one of the cheapest among the vendors mentioned in this article.
However, one downside is that they have limited payment options. You can only pay with paper checks, PayPal (up to $10,000), credit/debit cards (up to $10,000), and bank wire transfers (up to $400,000). They offer free shipping for orders over $199 and have a five-day return policy. If you want to sell your gold and silver, they’ll buy it back at the current prices listed on their website.
Customers have praised BGASC’s customer service, with knowledgeable representatives and quick response times during business hours. While they don’t have live chat, they are a Certified Coin Exchange (CCE) member and an authorized dealer for the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC).
Why We Chose BGASC
We chose BGASC for its unique offerings, such as attractive collector’s pieces and limited edition sets. Their detailed product descriptions on the website are helpful for all precious metal enthusiasts, making the buying experience enjoyable.
- Wide variety of gold and silver coins, bars, and rounds
- Transparent and competitive real-time pricing
- Knowledgeable and responsive customer service team
- No storage solution
- No live chat support on the site
American Hartford Gold
- Shipping Policy: They offer free shipping and insurance on all orders without any minimums.
- Storage: Yes, they provide storage services.
- Return Policy: They offer a buyback commitment.
American Hartford Gold is a company that deals with precious metals like gold, silver, and platinum. They offer bars and coins of different sizes. If you buy from them, they will deliver the metals right to your home. They can also store them for you or help you invest them in a retirement account like IRA or 401K.
One thing that sets them apart is their commitment to giving great service and making sure their customers are completely satisfied. They even provide educational materials and are available to talk on the phone if you need professional advice. They really care about their customers and want to make sure they have a good experience.
Why We Chose American Hartford Gold
We chose American Hartford Gold for its strong buyback promise, allowing customers to sell back their gold and silver at fair prices. They also provide excellent customer service, helping clients understand the gold and silver market.
- Competitive pricing on a diverse portfolio of gold and silver products
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Offer personalized precious metal investment strategies
- No live chat support
- Lack of pricing information on the website
Silver Gold Bull
- Shipping Policy: Orders above $199 get free shipping.
- Storage: Yes, but there’s an added fee for storage.
- Return Policy: You can return products within 2 business days of delivery.
Silver Gold Bull, established in 2009, is a reliable online precious metals dealer offering a wide range of gold and silver products for investors and collectors. Their real-time pricing, user-friendly website, and convenient search filters make it easy for customers to find what they need.
They also provide valuable resources to educate users about precious metals and investment strategies. Secure shipping, insurance, and various payment options, including cryptocurrencies, ensure a seamless and safe buying experience.
Why We Chose Silver Gold Bull
We chose Silver Gold Bull for its knowledgeable customer support team and easily navigable website, making it a hassle-free platform for both new and experienced investors.
- All shipments are fully insured
- Extensive range of gold and silver products
- Offers discounts on certain payment methods
- Strict return policy
- Storage options require an additional fee
- Shipping Policy: If your order is above $199, you get free shipping.
- Storage: They offer storage services.
- Return Policy: You can return non-bullion items within 3 days of receiving them. However, all bullion product sales are final.
BullionMax is an online seller that deals in gold and silver. They have a good reputation with an “A” rating on the Better Business Bureau. On their secure website, you can buy different types of gold and silver items like coins, bullion, rounds, and bars. If your order is over $199, they offer free shipping.
But remember, the prices of precious metals can change quickly, so when you add something to your cart, the price is locked for only 10 minutes. After that, it might be different, so be sure to make a decision quickly.
Why We Chose BullionMax
We chose BullionMax for its transparency and educational resources, such as market news and investing guides, which help customers make informed decisions.
- Excellent customer support with live chat and phone assistance
- Secure and user-friendly platform
- Offers competitive prices with low premiums
- Limited return policy
- No international shipping
Oxford Gold Group
- Shipping Policy: Free shipping and insurance on all orders within the United States.
- Storage: They offer storage services.
- Return Policy: The return policy is not explicitly stated on their website.
Oxford Gold Group is a place where you can find precious metals like gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. They have a great rating from the BBB, which shows they are trustworthy. While gold and silver are easy to keep at home, this company also offers storage options to keep your metals safe.
If you want to invest in physical assets to diversify your portfolio, they have a variety of options for you. You can choose from coins, bars, bullion, and even rare coins. They have a team of experts available all the time to help you out, or you can have a personal account manager guide you through your first purchases. They also have a helpful guide to investing in precious metals.
Why We Chose Oxford Gold Group
We chose Oxford Gold Group for its knowledgeable sales team, robust storage options, and easy online ordering process, making it a top choice for buying gold and silver online.
- Exceptional customer service
- Wide range of products
- Partners with reputable storage facilities
- Return policy details are unclear
- Product prices are not displayed online
Money Metals Exchange
- Shipping Policy: Orders over $500 get free shipping, while orders below $500 have a flat shipping rate of $7.97.
- Storage: They offer storage services.
- Return Policy: They offer a 3-day return policy with a 5% restocking fee.
Money Metals Exchange, established in 2010, has quickly grown its customer base with a focus on competitive pricing and excellent service. Their website is easy to navigate, allowing customers to shop for coins and bullion easily. New investors can start with a monthly savings plan for as little as $100 a month.
When making a purchase, they lock in your price for 10 minutes to give you time to complete your order. You can pay using a bank wire transfer, bitcoin, credit/debit card, money order, PayPal, or check, each with different purchase limits and fees.
Shipping is free for orders over $500, but they charge $7.97 for orders below that. They offer a three-day return policy and may apply a 5% restocking fee for credit card orders. They also have a buyback program, claiming to offer the highest price among competitors.
For storage, Money Metals provides vault storage in Delaware and Massachusetts in Class 3 vaults, with fully segregated and insured metals. They offer responsive customer service through live chat, phone, or email during business hours. Their website also has a resource library for learning about investing in precious metals, and they provide price alerts to help investors make informed decisions.
Why We Chose Money Metals
We chose Money Metals for its transparency in pricing and dedication to customer satisfaction, earning them numerous industry awards and establishing them as a reliable and trustworthy choice for buying gold and silver online.
- Extensive range of products
- Comprehensive resources in their Knowledge Center
- Discounts offered for military members
- Limited international shipping
- Restricted return policy
- Shipping Policy: If your order is over $199, you get free shipping.
- Storage: They provide storage services.
- Return Policy: They offer a 3-day return policy, but there’s a 5% restocking fee (minimum $35).
SD Bullion claims to be the lowest-cost online gold dealer in the U.S., and they back it up with a low-price guarantee. Their selection of precious metals includes gold, silver, platinum, copper, and palladium, but it’s more limited than some other dealers.
They offer free shipping on orders over $199, and if you find a lower price elsewhere, they’ll match it. For payments, they accept various options like Bitcoin, credit/debit cards, PayPal, and more, each with different limits and fees.
If you store your gold with them, they offer free storage for the first three months, and then there’s a monthly fee based on the amount stored. Returns are accepted within three days of delivery, but refunds are not guaranteed, and they may charge a restocking fee and require you to cover any market loss.
Customers generally give positive reviews about SD Bullion’s customer service, reporting quick access to representatives through chat, email, and phone, along with speedy ordering and delivery.
Why We Chose SD Bullion
We chose SD Bullion for its price-matching policy and claim of offering some of the lowest prices in the precious metals market. They cater to budget-conscious investors and strive to remain cost-effective.
- Wide range of educational resources
- Secure storage partnership
- Customer-focused approach
- Restocking fee on returns
- Cancellation fee of $35
Golden Eagle Coins
- Shipping Policy: You get free shipping on orders over $99.
- Storage: They don’t offer storage services.
- Return Policy: You have 7 days to return items, but there’s a 5% restocking fee.
If you’re more of a coin collector, then it would interest you to know that Golden Eagle Coins offers a wide selection of gold coins, including collectible and numismatic ones, and have been around since 1974 and have a great reputation for keeping customers satisfied.
They offer an impressive variety of coins, including popular ones like American Eagles, Krugerrands, and Maple Leafs, as well as pre-1933 coins, commemoratives, and foreign coins from different countries. Other offers inlcude sell silver, platinum, palladium, and copper coins.
What sets them apart is that they even offer historical currency like Confederate notes and Colonial currency, and their collection of ancient Arabic, Greek, Roman, and medieval coins is impressive too.
Their prices are competitive, though not the cheapest. But people go to Golden Eagle Coins not just for the pricing, but because of the vast selection and excellent service they provide.
They accept various payment methods like credit cards, PayPal, and bank wire transfers, with different purchase limits for each option. Shipping is free for orders above $99, and they have return policies in place.
While they don’t have live chat, their customer service is top-notch according to thousands of reviews. They are quick to respond to phone and email inquiries, and customers are very happy with their service, making their online reputation outstanding.
Why We Chose Golden Eagle Coins
We chose Golden Eagle Coins for its long-standing reputation, excellent customer service, and an impressive selection of gold coins.
- In business since 1974
- Extensive selection of gold coins
- Solid online reputation
- Excellent customer service
- Seven-day return policy
- A limited selection of gold bars
- No live chat support
- Shipping Policy: You get free shipping on orders of $5,000 or more.
- Storage: They offer storage services.
- Return Policy: They don’t accept returns, but they will exchange damaged items.
Kitco, which started in 1977, has a safe website where you can buy and sell gold and silver items like coins, bars, rounds, and collectibles. They also provide valuable news, prices, charts, and information about gold and silver.
When you want to buy gold and silver from Kitco, you have different options. You can buy the physical items and have them delivered to you. Or, if you prefer, Kitco can store them in secure vaults for you. Another option is to own a share of a pool of precious metals that Kitco keeps safe for its customers.
Why We Chose Kitco
We chose Kitco for its exclusive offering of Kitco GoldChain, a blockchain-based product, and its real-time price alerts, empowering customers to make prompt investment decisions.
- Live chat support
- Consistently competitive pricing
- User-friendly interface
- Limited storage locations
- No mobile app
Buying from a Private Seller
Gold collectors, and owners, can sometimes turn to marketplaces such as eBay to sell their gold to the mass market. And while it might offer the potential to get gold at a discount or find rare stuff, there are risks involved.
Private sellers may not provide purchase guidance, and there’s no guarantee of the gold’s quality or authenticity. The possibility of buying fake gold is also a concern.
- Potential to get gold at a discount.
- Chance to find rare numismatic gold coins to complete your collection.
- Risk of being sold a fake gold item.
- Lack of purchase guidance from a professional.
- No guarantee of the quality or authenticity of the gold you are buying.
Buying from a Jeweller
Purchasing gold bars from a jeweler can be convenient, especially if you prefer a physical location closer to you. Some jewelers will often hold small quantities of gold coins, sometimes with the intention of selling, as they would a ring or necklace.
However, it’s essential to exercise caution as well. The trading quality of the gold bars may not be the same as those bought from a dealer, and you may pay higher margins as gold might be considered a gift rather than an investment. Despite these drawbacks, reputable jewelers can be trusted sources for gold bars, making it worthwhile to explore and compare options before making a decision.
- Convenient physical location, likely closer to you.
- Smaller amounts of gold available for immediate purchase.
- Trust in the bars from reputed jewelers.
- Uncertainty about the trading quality (carat and fineness) compared to buying from a dealer.
- Higher margins due to gold being considered a gift rather than an investment.
What you should know when buying gold bars
When you’re buying gold and silver online, pay attention to these important things:
- Trustworthy dealers. It’s crucial to buy from dealers with a good reputation and a long history in the business.
- Secure websites. Make sure the website you use is safe and trustworthy, so your personal and financial information stays protected.
- Transparent pricing. Look for dealers who clearly show the metal’s price, any extra fees, and the premium charged.
- Variety of products. Choose a dealer with a wide selection of options, like coins, bars, or collectibles, to suit your investment goals and budget.
- Secure payment and delivery. Use dealers with secure payment options like credit cards or bank transfers, and make sure they offer insured shipping with tracking.
- Customer support and return policy. Good customer service is essential. Check if the dealer has responsive support through phone, email, or live chat. Also, review their return policy in case you need to return or exchange something.
Note: Not all dealers are trustworthy. Do your research and be cautious of anyone promising easy profits. Learn how to spot scams before making a purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a gold bar worth?
As of July, the spot price of gold is around $2000 per ounce. If you want to buy a one-ounce gold bar with 99.9% purity, you’ll likely pay around 5% to 10% more than the spot price, depending on the dealer and other factors.
Is gold a good investment?
According to a recent Gallup poll, 26% of Americans consider gold the best long-term investment. This percentage is almost double compared to 15%. Gold’s popularity as an investment surpassed that of stocks, which only ranked at 18%, down from 24% in the previous year.
Which company’s gold bar is best to buy?
There isn’t a single best company overall; each dealer has its pros and cons. The best approach is to compare different companies and dealers, considering their strengths and weaknesses, and then decide which one suits you the most.
Conclusion – Where to Buy Gold Bars
That’s all for “where to buy gold bars”. As with any other type of purchase, when you’re buying gold bars, remember to pick a trustworthy seller that provides proper insurance for your items.
Take a closer look at each seller or dealer mentioned in this article, as they offer different options and services. Before you make your purchase, it’s essential to do your research and choose the one that suits you best.