Last Updated on September 22, 2023
There is a new wave of formats where someone on the internet becomes your friend and finally asks you to help them with iTunes gift cards or Amazon gift cards, or whatnot. These are yahoo guys and they are using the iTunes gift card format to take something away from you.
They request payment for things including hospital bills, debt collection, taxes, bail money, and utility bills. The victims are asked to make payments via several methods, including gift cards. These bad guys, according to reports, have been known to request codes from App Stores, Apple Gift Cards, Apple Store Gift Cards, or iTunes Gift Cards. With this in mind, it has become imperative to write a tell-it-all investigation into this scam to increase people’s awareness and reduce the rate at which unsuspecting victims fall for this scam format.
It takes a lot of danger investigating most of these formats. If you love how I keep the internet safe, consider subscribing and maybe buy me a Coffee.
What Are iTunes Cards?
iTunes card was originally created to enable people to buy songs from Apple’s music store, known as the iTunes store. When they buy these songs, they could then play these songs on their computer using the iTunes software on their iPod, iPad, or Mac computer.
The original purpose of the iTunes card was just to gift people music. Like other cards, iTunes has this special sequence of numbers at the back of their card that enables people to redeem the worth of the gift card on the iTunes store. After redemption, they could then use the real value of the card and buy any song they wish.
Let’s say I have an iTunes gift card that could buy me a song named “Rain by Dr. Dre,” the value of the card could also be, let’s say, $100. If I gift you this card, you can either do the following with the card:
- Buy the music by Dr. Dre “Rain” or
- You get $100 to purchase another song (after you redeem the gift card to Apple)
The iTunes Gift Card Format Process:
- Firstly, the unsuspecting victim is called to cause panic and generate a need for urgency in making the said payment.
- Next, the victim is urged to purchase any of the Apple Gift Cards products, including; App Store & iTunes Gift Cards, or Apple Store Gift Cards from the closest retailer, either a convenience store or an electronics retailer.
- Thirdly, after the card is purchased, the unsuspecting victim is requested to provide payment by revealing the code located at the back of the card to the fraudster via call.
You should note that iTunes Gift Cards, Apple Gift Cards, and App Store are used only to purchase Apple’s products from the iTunes Store, Apple website, Retail Stores, the App Store, and Apple Books. They are also used to pay for Apple’s services, such as iCloud storage, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, and Apple News+.
It will also interest you that the Apple Store Gift Cards can only be redeemed at the Apple Retail Stores and on Apple Online Store.
So, when you’re requested to pay for other things except for the above-outlined purposes, it could definitely be a scam, and you are being targeted. It is proper to immediately report such calls to your local police officers, including the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
A vital point to note is to never give out the numbers on the back of an iTunes Gift Card to a stranger. On receipt of the numbers, fraudsters will eventually spend the value of the card before you contact law enforcement or Apple.
What is a Gift Card Format?
Gift cards are meant to be for gifts. They are not to be a means for making payments. When someone requests payment for a service with a gift card, that’s fraud. The idea behind using Gift cards as a scam format is the ease of procurement – you can walk into any convenience store and buy one.
Another reason is that iTunes Gift cards possess fewer buyers’ protection when compared to other payment options. It is close to using money, and whenever it is used, the value is gone.
So, when someone calls requesting payment via gift cards, you should know that a scammer is on the line. And providing them with the gift card number and PIN means you have given them your money. They come around with some sob story, but in all, they try to get you to pay them with an iTunes gift card. Their format is already explained in the introductory paragraph above. But they try to pressure you into a corner. They are using urgency and fright to pressure you into giving them your hard-earned money.
They would sometimes request you purchase the iTunes Gift card at multiple stores. This is to prevent the store cashiers from getting suspicious and you from being scammed. Some fraudsters might even insist on being on the call while you try to procure the card. That is another hallmark of this fraudulent activity. It would be best if you stopped at this point to prevent losing your money.
You might be a victim of the iTunes gift card scam. Do not give out the iTunes gift card number and the PIN to anyone who requests it from you. Getting the money back once it has been taken out isn’t possible, so you must know how to spot this scam and nip it before you lose your money.
How Do They Collect iTunes cards from Clients?
Now typically, once you see yourself going through the following steps, just know that the person is using the iTunes gift card billing format to manipulate you. Having explained that the random person might be someone you met on a dating site, you have to be careful of dating sites.
When I interviewed a guy named Habib, a middle-class student in Senegal, he explained the following to me about iTunes gift card format.
1. They Approach and become friends
You would have to start as a friend with your client. The best place I love getting my clients are dating sites. Once I meet a client, I establish a relationship with them immediately and become friends.
Most of these clients can easily buy a gift card for $100, so there is no need to rush and collect so much money from them. Once you have become friends with them, make sure that you maintain a friendship in an excellent way.
2. Lie about your occupation
If you are using the iTunes card billing format, you must lie about everything about yourself. Since there would be no need of meeting with your client or transferring money, they will never know where you are; that is the beauty of the iTunes gift card format in duping a client. This format is not meant for only yahoo or yahoo boys; anybody can just do it for fun.
3. Discuss Music with them during chatting
Since this is to collect an iTunes card from your client, you should know about music. As I explained before, the iTunes card was originally meant for music purchases; so if your client tells you something like this –
Client: I love only Cardi B’s song
You: wow, I am actually a fan of Nicki Minaj – I heard that both are rivals.
Client: Yea, so I heard.
You: You would want me to become a Cardi B fan? (lmao)
Client: Sure, why not.
You: Then you can buy her music and send it across to me – that way, you can convert it for me.
Client: How can I do that?
You: Since it is on the iTunes store, you can send me a gift card, and I will purchase it for myself.
Client: Okay, I will do that tomorrow if I buy from Wal-Mart.
Now you can see how the client is lured into helping to achieve the aim of collecting iTunes. This iTunes gift card format also depends on the style of the chat. If he or she doesn’t accept at first, don’t pester; just continue the discussion and look for other ways to make sure they like you to send the iTunes gift card.
4. Collect the gift card and sell
There are so many places you can sell iTunes gift cards around you, just ask questions, and you will find them. Depending on the amount the client sends to you, you can sell it back at a lower rate.
One of the significant problems that G-boys face is when they sell their gift cards to the wrong person and get ripped.
A Sample iTunes Gift Card Format Message.
Hello, My Love,
I know how you’ve been wanting to see my face, and I understand the feeling of seeing someone your heart truly beats for after a long period.
It is just so unfortunate that circumstances have stopped me from showing you how much I love you. But trust me, it won’t be for long again. The reason is that I have figured out what is wrong with my camera and possible ways to solve it.
We lack technicians here, so I came in contact with someone who promised to help me fix my camera and screen to enable become able to make video calls again.
I would have paid immediately without disturbing you, but I lack the funds to be very honest with you.
I am not asking for money – because he doesn’t need money to fix the problem. He only said that I need to send me $200 worth of gift cards to unlock the screen.
I wonder what he intends to do with such gift cards – but since he is the only trusted person here, I am taking the risk with him.
I don’t have access to gift cards here, so that is why I am reaching you.
Please aid me with just $200 worth of gift card to fix this screen, and I will repay as soon as I fix the phone. I need to see the face of my lover ASAP.
I trust you to help me, babe… I love you from the depth of my heart.
Other ways the iTunes Card Billing Format is Used
When I asked Habib the other ways this format is used, he explained and said.
If you don’t want to use this method of love and dating format to collect iTunes cards from clients, there are many other ways you can use it:
The Tax payment format
One of the newer methods is when you impersonate an IRS (Internal Revenue Service officer) agent and convince your client to pay their taxes over the phone using iTunes gift cards.
Could you send me a gift format?
This is very effective when you guys have started bonding very well. Most of these clients can easily decide to send you a gift, so I suggest you tell them to send you iTunes gift cards. This is why this iTunes gift card format is straightforward. They will see the iTunes gift card as a gift instead of a payment.
Is it only the iTunes Gift card that is Used?
When collecting gift cards from clients, it isn’t only the iTunes gift card you can collect. There are other gift cards out there that you can also collect from your clients. A typical example of some popular ones includes;
Any of the above gift cards can be converted into money or used to make purchases online.
Now you have known how to collect gift cards from clients using the iTunes gift card format. I have also taught you how to apply the iTunes card billing format and some other cards you can use.
Do you need iTunes gift card for camera?
You don’t need an iTunes gift card for an iPhone camera or any phone camera; it is a scam excuse. It is also one of the gift card billing formats to get gift cards from clients.
How to Spot the iTunes Gift Card Format
These guys are majorly the only people who would try and convince you to make payments with gift cards. Understanding their tactics will enable you to spot and avoid falling for their scam plots easily. You won’t be the only person to benefit; your family, friends, and associates will also be spared.
Provided you share with them the vital information and knowledge gained from reading this piece. Let’s provide you with some samples of their iTunes gift card schemes:
- Firstly, you may get a call from someone who says they represent the government in any form, such as the internal revenue Service (IRS) or a social security official representing the Social Security Administration. Their scam format would be in the form of a tax or fine you have to pay, or else you may be liable to go to jail. Know that this is a scam; if you fall for it, your money is gone.
- Another scam format is when someone calls you, acting as tech support from a large organization providing exclusive service, e.g., Apple, Google, and Microsoft. They would try to persuade you to allow them to fix something wrong on your computer and request payment via iTunes gift card. Please do not fall for it, and it is a scam.
- Thirdly, they may come via romance scams. This happens when you meet a person via a dating site and request financial help. They tend to give a sob story leading you to have pity on them or try to get money from you cunningly. Some may even send you money first – it is a scam. You should never send a gift card to someone you have not seen.
- They may, at other times, pretend to be a relative in distress and request you send assistance immediately without telling anybody about it. To put your mind at rest, end such calls and call your relative to verify the authenticity of the request before payment. Else, you would fall for iTunes gift card fraud.
- You might get a mail, text, or call notifying you that you’ve won a prize in non-existent sweepstakes. You will then be requested to pay some fees or charges via a gift card.
NOTE: no trustworthy business or agency will request payment to access your prize, and neither will they accept gift card payments. Hey, you never put in for any sweepstakes, remember?
What to Do If You Paid a Scammer with Gift Cards
If you have been a victim of iTunes gift card fraud, you should go through the below-listed steps:
- Cal Apple, immediately do not destroy or throw away the card and receipts. Try to find out if the money is still on the card, and request they freeze it.
- Report the fraud to a local enforcement office or the FTC.
Tips to avoid becoming the victim of the iTunes Gift Card Format
While several scammers are trying to rip you off your hard-earned money, here are some tips to help you avoid being scammed.
- Do not make payments for any service or product, not on the Apple list of products and services with the iTunes Gift card, which is probably a scam.
- Do not provide the number on the back of your gift card to anyone you don’t know. And they might be fraudsters waiting to scam you.
- Immediately report any call or person to the local law enforcement or FTC requesting payment via iTunes Gift card.
Final Advice on iTunes Gift Card Format
You have read it on our ITUNES GIFT CARD FORMAT: AN INVESTIGATION INTO THIS SCAM. We hope that the content of this write-up will be beneficial to you. Until the next one, have a great day. Click here to download the PDF of Giftcard Excuses.